We are still in March; and it is still Women’s History Month. Now, if you are reading this, you either ARE a Mother, HAVE a Mother or you LOVE a Mother.
Hello, My name is Dawn Diaz and here is the story of the most important woman in my life; my mother Carmen Milagros Lugo, who was born on March 16, 1953.
- She was the oldest of 3 kids and the only girl
- She had once worked as a switchboard operator
- She liked watching scary movies. The Exorcist, Rosemary’s Baby, Trilogy of Terror
- Two songs that she loved were The Lion Sleeps Tonight and The Greatest Love of All
- She was a very religious Pentecostal
- She made me Peanut Butter Sandwiches with Tomato Soup
- She taught me how to sew and crochet
- She had beautiful long, straight, black hair
- Although she was poor, she still spoiled me rotten
- My most treasured memory with my mom was of her taking me to the Circus.
My mom was a quiet, humble woman; and a victim of severe Domestic Violence. My three brothers and I grew up in a hellish den of physical, emotional, and even sexual abuse.
Did you know that 1 out of 4 women will experience some form of abuse from an intimate partner during their lifetime? And that 10 Million Children a year witness Domestic Violence in their homes?
After 10 years of living in this abusive relationship, my mom finally found the courage to leave the situation; and then tragically died in a car accident 6 months later.
My mother’s life was NOT in vain and her memory lives on through the non-profit organization Milagros Day Worldwide.
Milagros Day Worldwide provides leadership coaching and mentor-ship to survivors of Domestic Violence and those who grew up in abusive households. Since 2009 we have created a sisterhood of support and empowerment in the New York Tri-State area that continues to grow and expand globally.
Wherever you are right now, reading this story; I invite you to STAND and BREATHE, and SMILE and say to yourself I AM WORTHY!! I am worthy of LOVE! I am worthy of Happiness, I am worthy of Success, I am worthy of Abundance, I am worthy of Forgiveness, I am worthy of Compassion, I am worthy of Respect, I am worthy of PEACE
I invite you to chant these words to yourself for a FULL 24 HOURS!! And then PLEASE let me know what shifts in your mind, in your heart and in your life!!
Speaker, Author, Trainer, Coach
CEO, Rescue Coaching LLC
Founder, Milagros Day Worldwide
Retired FDNY Paramedic/Captain
Become a part of New York City’s
Growing Mother’s Day TRADITION